Search This Blog

25 February 2007

Bob sends his regrets to a high school buddy (class of 1965) who invited him to a little hometown reunion of survivors

guy from my high school class e-mailed to get me to come to a little party of high school pals (who are still alive)

Old rockin' chair's got me
1929

duet: Hoagy Carmichael & Louis Armstrong

Old rockin' chair's got me
my cane by my side
Fetch me that gin, son
'fore I tan your hide

Can't get from this cabin
I ain't goin' nowhere
Just set me here grabbin'
at the flies round this rockin' chair

My dear old aunt Harriet
in Heaven she be
Send me sweet chariot
for the end of the trouble I see

Old rockin' chair gets it
Judgement Day is here
Chained to my rockin' chair

Old rockin' chair's got me, son
(Rocking chair got you, father)
My cane by my side
(Yes, your cane by your side)
Now fetch me a little gin son
(Ain't got no gin, father)
What? 'fore I tan your hide, now
(You're gonna tan my hide)

You know, I can't get from this old cabin
(What cabin?)
I ain't goin' nowhere
(Why ain't you goin' nowhere?)
Just sittin' me here grabbin'
(Grabbin')
At the flies round this old rockin' chair

Now you remember dear old aunt Harriet
(Aunt Harriet)
How long in Heaven she be?
(She's up in Heaven)
Send me down, send me down Sweet chariot
End of this trouble I see
(I see, Daddy)

Old rockin' chair gets it, son
(Rocking chair get it, father)
Judgement Day is here, too
(Your Judgement Day is here)
Chained to my rockin'
my old rockin' chair

No comments: