Search This Blog

18 February 2007

wtf moment at the Solid Waste Landfill

Count Robert de Montesquiou (1895 - 1921)
by Giovanni Boldini

so from out of the blue i get this e-mail from this nice lady in Maine wishing to know all that I could tell her about le Compte Robert de Montesquioi, a Parisienne aristocrat and salon figure.

a correspondence followed in which i blew a lot of smoke out of my ass pretending i knew what she was talking about, because i never heard of this Person in my whole fucking life.

Finally tonight the lightbulb came on in my poor confused haid.

~ ~ ~

Madame,

At the birth of our Correspondence was the Mystery of how you stumbled upon Vleeptron and why you thought I might actually Know Something which might in any way be of value to your researches.

I told you I actually do have a pretty steel-trap memory, and yet just couldn't imagine what I might have posted that reflected your List Of Hi-Tone Upscale Fin du Siecle French People.

The Mystery has been solved. You stumbled on


my post of the portrait of W. Graham Robertson, the wealthy English aristocrat who donated William Blake's magnificent portrait of Isaac Newton to the Tate Gallery. My post has John Singer Sargent's beautiful portrait of Robertson.

And some filched text from an homage site about Singer Sargent:

It's my impression that Graham liked to think of himself as the English equivalent of the Comte Robert de Montesquiou, whom he was also friends. Though, from what I can tell, Graham was far more talented, wielded far less influence, and didn't possess near the malicious streak (if at all) that Montesquiou had.

Moiself, this was the first and last time me and le Comte de Montesquiou had ever rubbed elbows. But I filched a whole bunch of Montesquiou/Graham/Sargent stuph from Natasha Wallace, who is clearly up to her armpits in this Krew:


I drive a 4x4 pickup truck, for christs sake! I drive my trash to the Solid Waste Landfill! You think I know anything about le Comte Robert de Montesquiou? Not unless he drives his 4x4 pickup to the Landfill too.

But, for a momentary scare that my beloved Memory was turning to Mush, this has been FUN!!!

your devoted Servant,

M. le Duc Robert du Merkin de Toyota

P.S. The Solid Waste Landfill is closed on Wednesday and Sunday.

No comments: