Search This Blog

26 May 2007

What Would Vleeptron Do? (WWVD) Public Comment Period is: OPEN

What's the Ethical, Moral Thing
for Vleeptron to do???

Vleeptron and Vleeptron_Z have been around for about 5 years. Before that there was my website Elmer Elevator's Discount Prep, that dates to about 1997.

To date, none of my C-space publications have ever carried a single advertisement for anything, and I ain't never taken a penny to steer readers toward any commercial venture.

Well, uhhh, I am slightly embarrassed to confess that that's mainly because nobody ever tried to sell me an ad before.

I am this week in receipt of a very nice e-mail offer from a very courteous gentleman to run a small text ad, with a link, on this recent VleeptronZ post.

The post is about one of Vleeptron's regular concerns, drug policy and reform.

The ad, if I let it run, will steer readers to a private drug rehabilitation treatment facility in California.

Which, in theory, I approve of. Getting messed up on and over your head with drugs is a Medical Thing, and this ad could help some drug-troubled people or their loved ones find them some Medical Help.

I run the ad, the guy says he sends me U$35 .

(NOW I see how everybody but me has been getting RICH with their blogs!!!)

Anyway, please consider this a Public Comment Period.

* Should I run this ad?

* Should Vleeptron run ads?

* Will this ad make you think Vleeptron is just another CyberProstitute?

Or do you think this is a Good Thing? I would like to consider a Fantasie in which some troubled human being is surfing around for stuff about Drugs, finds my post, reads the ad, clicks the link, calls up the rehab center, and gets some competent medical help.

I will be sincerely grateful for any advice you have to offer. I'll want to share your Comments with readers, but for This Occasion Only, if you're shy, you can log in as Anonymous, or FreeAdviceGrl, or JournalismEthicsGuy.

$35 is not chopped liver.

6 comments:

James J. Olson said...

1. This gentleman is willing to pay you $35 to run an advertisement for a cause that you support.

2. Would you run the ad for free?

3. Would running the ad affect your 'journalistic integrity'...not your impartiality, this is not the news.

4. Would there be an advertisement that you would not run?

5. Do you need the money?

I don't mind ads on 'blogs.

Anonymous said...

i've never really enjoyed getting plastered in my face with ads to be honest. even textual ads are beginning to annoy me now more and more even though they are less annoying than popups/graphics etc. i understand that this is way to generate revenue for some people, but i think making a blog post about something is just as effective as linking an ad.

Vleeptron Dude said...

The morally and ethically tormented Bob wishes sincerely to thank jim and abbas for their guidance and advice.

The Public Comment Period is now CLOSED. Vleeptron has accepted and is running the small ad. It'll stay up for a year. (and $35 should be enough for a nice diner meal for me and SWMBO.)

A long time ago I had a friend who was very messed up on drugs. She lived in L.A. and came from a typically confused and well-off Hollywood family -- several mothers and stepmothers, several fathers and stepfathers. She'd been in and out of expensive private rehabs (mainly to dodge jail).

Eventually she died of an overdose. She was having an overwhelming personal crisis, and it may have been intentional, a suicide.

I have "issues" with this fancy kind of Lindsay Lohan rehab place that this ad links to.

But I want to imagine that if my friend had seen this ad and clicked on it and phoned this place -- well, they could have bought her a few weeks of safety, maybe at least guided her safely beyond her crisis. I miss her terribly. She was funny and witty and a friend to me.

I have "issues" with capitalism, particularly with the way we sell health care and substance-abuse rehab to the highest bidder.

(abbas -- don't let Canada kill the National Health, ignore all attacks on it!)

But in the middle of a tormented, lonely night, the Lindsay Lohan/Paris Hilton Rehab Center is better than no help at all. Maybe this ad will get lucky someday and get some troubled surfer past his/her lonely torment.

Hope springs eternal in the human breast, and 35 bucks is 35 bucks.

Anonymous said...

Once an error is clearly and fully understood, it need not be repeated. Addiction is to the false Self. Drugs and Alcohol are just self-medication trying to alleviate the pain caused by that addiction .

Vleeptron Dude said...

That's nice, thanks for sharing. Next time buy a paid ad.

thaddiez said...

référence utile sacs de répliques en Chine voir ceci site Web https://www.dolabuy.ru/ actualités meilleurs sacs de répliques en ligne