Search This Blog

16 August 2007

no longer a national defense secret: Rumsfeld's resignation letter

Text of former Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld's resignation letter, dated 6 November 2006.

The Associated Press requested the letter under the Freedom of Information Act. Until today, the White House had not released the resignation letter to the public.

President Bush received the letter the day before the 2006 Congressional elections, but did not announce Rumsfeld's resignation until the day after the election. Voters switched control of both chambers of the federal legislature from Bush's Republican Party to the Democratic Party. Most observers attribute the outcome to voters' unhappiness with the US War in Iraq.

The word "Iraq" does not appear in the letter.

===========

Dear Mr. President:

With my resignation as secretary of defense comes my deep appreciation to you for providing me this unexpected opportunity to serve.

I leave with great respect for you and for the leadership you have provided during a most challenging time for our country. The focus, determination and perseverance you have so consistently provided have been needed and are impressive.

It has been the highest honor of my long life to have been able to serve our country at such a critical time in our history and to have had the privilege of working so closely with the truly amazing young men and women in uniform. Their dedication, professionalism, courage and sacrifice are an inspiration.

It is time to conclude my service. As I do so, I want you to know that you have my continuing and heartfelt support as you enter the final two years of your presidency.

Respectfully,

Donald Rumsfeld

No comments: