Search This Blog

16 July 2008

asymmetrical warfare trading cards (no bubble gum) and board game / for longer play, pass token to child or grandchild

Clicking image strongly advised.

Spam forwarded to me today by my friend who lives in the USA state shaped like the palm of a right-hand mitten.

"TERRORIST ATTACK: America Fights Back" trading cards from 1986. Originally distributed by Piedmont Candy Co. in Detroit, Michigan USA. (The original cards did not include bubble gum.)

Khadaffy and the Ayatollah Khomeini are standard, familiar images, and you seen one terrorist guy in a hood, you seen 'em all, but I really love the suicide driver; here the artist had some wiggle room for imagination, and ran with it.
That, incidentally, was the exact same look on my face the time I pushed my 1969 Triumph Bonneville 650cc motorcycle ("World's Fastest Production Motorcycle," the decal on the forks said) to 105 mph / 169 kph, with me on top of it.

BOTTOM RIGHT: "War On Terror / Guerra al Terrorismo" board game from 2006, from Terrorbull Games, designed by Andrew Sheerin and Andrew Tompkins, U$33. Best with 5 players.

Maybe they sell the Español edition of the game so the FARC can play it on rainy days in the Colombian jungle.

But the big question is: Is the game rigged? Do the Christian Occupiers from the Military Superpower Post-Colonial Wealth Centers of the West win nearly all the time?

Or, dice roll after dice roll afer dice roll, do the Terrorists slowly accumulate and solidify significant gains of military, economic resource and political control over larger and larger portions of their homelands in Asia and Africa?

And how long does the game last? I've played Monopoly and Risk and Diplomacy games that lasted for 6 hours. How long does a session of "War On Terror" last before somebody clearly wins? 11 days? 5 months? 100 years?

Oh wait, I just found the instructions:

56. Without diplomatic and political initiatives, which "War On Terror" does not provide for, the game continues until all but one player die of old age or natural causes. The last living player wins.

If longer play is desired, a player may choose to pass his/her token to a child or grandchild.


2 comments:

Vleeptron Dude said...

hiya Andre -- yeah, i think the suicide driver is my fave too.

in this millennium there is a strange marriage and blurring of war and gaming ... I don't know where that will lead ...

Vleeptron Dude said...

on Sunday 29 March 2009, Andre commented:

I just submitted that picture to Stumble. This is INCREDIBLE - hahahaha! I think my favorite is the "suicide driver" and his diabolical smile.

... but I've been asked to delete his comment because it carries a link that interferes with a search engine. Here goes, hope this works.