Search This Blog

21 August 2009

1st Day Issue / Postalo Vleeptron / Ramadan Kareem 1430 / 2009

Click image for larger.

My first non-filched Ramadan greeting -- and just in time.

I was riding trains through Quebec and the Maritimes last year -- not a lot of reminders out the windows or on the streets. I think I was more than a week late to give a shout-out to my Muslim neighbors -- estimates range from 1,300,000,000 to 1,800,000,000 of them. The community of all the world's Muslims are called the Ummah

أمة‎

In recent years I've just done a Google image search and filched an attractive-looking Ramadan Kareem greeting card -- the Internet equivalent of shoplifting a Hallmark card.

This is my first original Ramadan Kareem image. I sincerely hope that those more familiar with the art and imagery of Ramadan, traditional and modern, than I am -- and that's just about everybody -- will be kind and generous in their critiques of this first try.

Ramadan Kareem means Ramadan is Generous. Giving to the needy is central to the month-long observance.

And that's all I'll say right now. In the imagery and this brief greeting and description, I've probably already made nine mistakes. Please be kind in correcting them in your Comments.

There's a Non-Theological mistake, in other words, an error that has nothing to do with Ramadan or Islam -- and in fact the same error can often be seen in Islamic imagery. 1 slice of pizza after the fast is broken after sundown.

2 comments:

abbas said...

the crescent is more towards NNE, rather than E. or should be anyway, just speculating cuz thats always how i've seen it.

Vleeptron Dude said...

Okay, here's a hint. Look at the Flag of Turkey. They don't make the same mistake I made.